The secret of this recipe lies in the sauce; the hotter it is, the better! However, you can also adjust the amount of chilli sauce according to the demands of your guests. The original recipe uses butter but I found that the addition of Q.B.B. Pure Ghee makes the sauce not only thick but also flavourful. You can substitute drumsticks for wings.
Preparation time: 15 minutes + overnight
Baking time: 35 minutes
50 ml ginger juice
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon Chinese sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
8 chicken drumsticks
Oil for deep frying
TO MAKE THE SAUCE
100 g Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
3 sprigs curry leaves
150 ml evaporated milk
5 g sugar
2 g salt
200 ml hot chilli sauce
60 ml tomato sauce
2 sprigs curry leaves, shredded
- Place the first 6 ingredients and combine well. Transfer to a Ziploc bag or an airtight container and marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Heat oil in a wok and deep-fry drumsticks until golden brown. Dish out and drain well on paper towels. Alternatively bake them in preheated oven of 180°C for 35 minutes.
- TO MAKE THE SAUCE, place Q.B.B. Pure Ghee in a non-stick saucepan over medium low heat, and allow to melt. Fry the curry leaves until aromatic. Add the evaporated milk and bring to a boil over low heat.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, and cook till the sauce thickens.
- Add the fried drumsticks to the pan and toss to coat them in the sauce. Dish out, sprinkle the shredded curry leaves over and serve hot.