This grilled spicy chicken dish originated from Kelantan, Malaysia. It is sold in the high-end restaurants as well as the night markets all over Malaysia. To me, the best ayam percik is still the ones roasted on charcoal fire. If you intend to prepare this dish for your next barbecue, do remember to cook the chicken partially before you barbecue it. This ensures the chicken will be well cooked and the marinade on it will not burn and turn bitter. The brushing of Q.B.B. Pure Ghee on the chicken really does wonders – it brings out the full flavour of the marinade and chicken!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
150 g shallots
15 g dried chillies, cut into 2 cm pieces and soaked in water for 30 minutes
20 g galangal
20 g fresh turmeric
25 g ginger
50 g garlic cloves
40 g candlenuts
2 stalks lemongrass, white part only
250 ml water
5 g cumin powder
10 g coriander powder
10 g fennel powder
50 ml cooking oil
5 g salt
20 g sugar
200 ml coconut cream
200 ml water
30 g tamarind paste or 30 g lime juice
6 chicken thighs or drumsticks
Q.B.B. Ghee for basting
- Place the first 9 ingredient in a blender and blend till smooth.
- Pour into a bowl. Add in the cumin, coriander and fennel powders and combine into a paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cardamoms, cloves and the spice paste. Fry over medium heat, stirring occasion until oil separates. Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of water if the spice paste becomes dry and sticks to the pan.
- Add in the salt, sugar, coconut cream, water and tamarind paste. Cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently for about 8-10 minutes.
- Let it cool completely.
- In the meanwhile, prick the chicken pieces all over with a fork. This will allow the marinade to penetrate better.
- Combine the cooled sauce and the chicken pieces together in an airtight container.
- Leave it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. In the meanwhile, bring the chicken to room temperature.
- Line a baking tray with aluminium foil. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Pour the marinade into the tray.
- Arrange chicken pieces over the marinade ensuring the marinade is not exposed to direct heat as it will dry up or get burnt.
- Roast chicken for 20 minutes; remove from oven and brush with Q.B.B. Pure Ghee. Carry on roasting for another 20 minutes and brush chicken pieces with Q.B.B. Pure Ghee again.
- By now the chicken should be cooked. Leave the chicken in the tray for about 5 minutes before moving it to a serving plate. Pour the sauce in the tray onto the chicken if desired or serve it with rice.