Satay is found all over South-East Asia – each country has its own version. These flame-seared morsels of meat or seafood are popular and affordable street snack enjoyed at all hours of the day and night. The best way to enjoy satay is to eat it right at the place where it is grilled – among the fumes, smoke and aroma!! If you do not have a charcoal grill, you can use an electric grill. If you don’t have any of the two, simply pan-fry the satay. Don’t forget to brush with Q.B.B. Pure Ghee – it would make a huge difference!
TO MAKE THE SATAY
4 cm ginger
5 garlic cloves
150 g shallots
3 cm galangal
2 stalks lemongrass
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
125 ml coconut cream
70 g sugar
2 tablespoons coriander powder
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon chilli powder
70 g caster sugar
1 ¼ teaspoon salt
500 g chicken or mutton, cut into cubes or strips
Q.B.B. Pure Ghee for basting
Cucumber and onion cubes
Ketupat (compressed rice cakes) pieces
- Combine the first 6 ingredients and grind in a blender till smooth.
- Pour into a mixing bowl.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients except the last 4 and combine well. Cover and leave it to marinate in the refrigerator for 5 hours or more.
- Thread a few pieces of the marinated chicken onto the wooden skewers. Shape and mould the chicken slices till they become compact.
- Grill the satay, basting it occasionally with Q.B.B. Pure Ghee.
- Serve with satay sauce, cucumber slices and ketupat.
TO MAKE THE SATAY SAUCE
200 g shallots
2 cm ginger
20 dried chillies, cut into 2 cm pieces and soaked for 30 minutes
2 teaspoons toasted shrimp paste
2 garlic cloves
50 g tamarind macerated in 150 ml water and strained
2 stalks lemongrass, lightly bruised
350 ml water (+/-)
400 g pounded, toasted peanuts
Salt to taste
8 tablespoons sugar
200 ml coconut cream
2 tablespoons Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
- Place the first 6 ingredients into a blender and grind till smooth.
- Heat Q.B.B. Pure Ghee and fry the ground ingredients and the lemongrass until oil separates.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and bring to boil.
- Serve with satay and rest of ingredients.