These deeply moreish spicy buns can be packed for a picnic or office lunch. You can freeze these buns well. If you are vegetarian, substitute the minced lamb with 400 g of diced eggplants.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Fermentation time: 90 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 12-13 buns
80 g ginger-garlic paste
4 tablespoons meat curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
500 g lean lamb, minced
2 tablespoons Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
1 stick cinnamon
1 large onion, sliced
2 sprigs curry leaves, cut into small pieces
500 ml water
500 g potatoes, peeled and diced
40 g Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coarsely pounded black peppercorns
1 red chilli, sliced thinly
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 sprigs of curry leaves, finely chopped
750 g bread flour
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
30 g caster sugar
15 g salt
1 sachet of instant yeast
7 g bread improver (optional)
1 medium egg
400 ml water
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat Q.B.B. Pure Ghee and fry the cinnamon and cardamoms until aromatic.
- Add in the onion and curry leaves and fry till onions are lightly browned.
- Add in the marinated lamb and stir fry till it changes colour.
- Add in the water and boil till lamb is three-quarters cooked and gravy slightly thick. Adjust salt.
- Add in the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally till potatoes are cooked and the gravy almost dry.
- Leave aside to cool. Remove cinnamon and cardamoms and discard.
- Heat the Q.B.B. Pure Ghee in a small pan and fry the mustard and cumin seeds until aromatic.
- Add in the black pepper, chilli, onion and curry leaves and sauté till onions become soft. Leave this to cool thoroughly.
- Transfer this into a mixer bowl and add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Knead for 10 minutes using an electric mixer.
- Cover dough and leave it to rise until it doubles in volume (about 1 hour).
- Divide dough into 12 portions and roll them into nice smooth balls.
- Flatten the dough and fill with 2 tablespoons of the prepared lamb filling.
- Wrap the dough round the filling and roll it again to form a smooth ball.
- Place on a greased tray. Do the same with the rest of the dough and filling.
- Leave the buns to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 180°C for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and while it is still hot, brush with Q.B.B. Pure Ghee.