This is not the usual biscuits that we serve with tea. Instead, it is served like “bread” or as a staple with the chicken dish. You can also serve these biscuits with a thick chicken or mutton curry. Alternatively, you can also make the filling and portion it into small pie dishes or ramekins and use rolled out store-bought puff pastry to cover it and bake till the puff pastry becomes golden brown. To make life even simpler, just place the filling in a chapatti or any other wraps being sold in the supermarkets, roll up and eat!
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
2 tablespoons Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
400 g boneless chicken breasts, cubed
300 g potatoes, diced
200 g carrots, diced
200 g celery, diced
1000 ml chicken stock or water
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ tablespoons Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
50 g flour
300 ml milk
Salt and pepper
100 g peas
SAVOURY BUTTER BISCUITS
250 self-raising flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
60 g Q.B.B. Pure Ghee, cold
50 g yoghurt
100 ml water
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Heat Q.B.B. Pure Ghee in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic until aromatic.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Remove from pot using a slotted spoon and place in a bowl and set aside.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery and chicken stock to the pot.
- Stir consistently and cook until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender. Reduce heat to medium-low and add chicken.
- In a separate pan, melt Q.B.B. Pure Ghee and whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly pour in milk, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and add salt and pepper. Pour this thick sauce into the pot with chicken and vegetables. Add in peas, stirring till well-combined.
- Pour into a round or square oven-safe baking dish and set aside.
- To prepare the SAVOURY BUTTER BISCUITS, preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place the flour, salt, pepper powder and cumin seeds into a mixing bowl. Rub the Q.B.B. Pure Ghee into the flour until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Combine the yoghurt and water together and slowly pour mixture into your dry ingredients. Mix gently to make a soft dough.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and gently pat into a round disc about 1cm thick.
- Cut dough with a sharp metal or glass cutter and place in well-greased baking dish.
- Place into preheated hot oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove biscuits from oven and place on top of the chicken pot pie mixture in the baking dish.
- Brush the biscuits lightly with melted Q.B.B. Pure Ghee and sprinkle with black sesame seeds.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for about 3 minutes. Serve warm.