These crispy, light and airy fried beignets are best eaten while still hot. They will be so soft inside. They make good breakfast or dessert and I like mine with a cup of black coffee! I wish everyone a very happy new 2017.
125 g buttermilk or water
250 g bread flour
20 g milk powder
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 tablespoon Q.B.B. ghee
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small egg, beaten
Oil for frying
Icing sugar for dusting
LEMON SABAYON SAUCE
2 large eggs
2 egg yolks
160 g caster sugar
125 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
30 g Q.B.B. Ghee, cut into small pieces
- Place all ingredients except the last 2 into a mixing bowl and knead for 10 minutes.
- Cover and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Punch dough and knead again.
- Shape into balls or roll out and cut into squares.
- Heat oil for deep frying at 180°C.
- Fry the balls or square pieces until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper. Dust with sifted icing sugar.
- Serve with Lemon Sabayon sauce.
- To make the Lemon Sabayon Sauce, whisk together whole eggs, yolks, and sugar in a bowl until combined well, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and whisk until foamy and add one third of lemon juice and whisk until thickened.
- Add half of remaining lemon juice and whisk until thickened. Repeat with remaining lemon juice.
- Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until thickened -it will take about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in Q.B.B. Ghee, a small piece at a time, until incorporated. Cool slightly.