There are tons and tons of carrot cake recipes. Over the years, I have tested and created so many carrot cake recipes. Each time, I would think “This is the best so far”, and then I would make an even better one the next time! This time around, I have used sweetened grated coconut. It gives a nice texture as well as flavour to the cake and the cake tastes better the next day.
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
600 g grated carrots
50 g sweetened grated coconut
125 g raisins
100 g chopped toasted walnuts
220 g dark brown sugar
80 ml melted Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
500 g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a large loaf pan or two small loaf pans with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine together the grated carrot, coconut, raisins, walnuts, brown sugar, melted Q.B.B. Pure Ghee, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Sift the flour, spices and salt into the bowl and using a wooden spoon, stir to combine well.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake at 180°C for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and frost the top of the cake with Lemon Cheese Frosting.
LEMON CHEESE FROSTING
40 g Q.B.B. Pure Ghee, room temperature
250 g cream cheese, room temperature
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Pinch of salt
Grated zest of 1 lemon
500 g icing sugar, sifted
- Beat the cream cheese and Q.B.B. Pure Ghee in a bowl until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar, lemon juice, zest and salt.
- Mix until smooth and thoroughly combined and spread on top of cake.