This is a luscious citrus syrup-drizzled moist cake – perfect for afternoon tea or a dessert after dinner. You can even keep it refrigerated for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
100 g Q.B.B. Pure Ghee, room temperature
100 g salted butter, room temperature
Grated zest of 2 oranges
180 g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
300 g self-raising flour
180 ml milk
100 g chocolate sprinkles (also known as chocolate rice)
TO MAKE THE SYRUP
150 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
60 g caster sugar
Grated zest of 1 orange
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Juice of half a lemon juice
- Grease a 15 cm X 25 cm loaf tin and line the base with baking paper. Alternatively, line several mini loaf tins or even use muffin tins lined with cupcake cases.
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Combine Q.B.B. Pure Ghee, butter, orange zest, sugar, eggs, flour and milk in a medium bowl and beat on low speed with a mixer until ingredients are well combined
- Then beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth and has changed to light pale colour.
- Stir in chocolate sprinkles.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 60 – 80 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, put all ingredients for the syrup into a small saucepan and bring to a boil until the sugar dissolves. Remove from stove, but keep the syrup warm.
- When the cake is baked, pour the prepared warm syrup over the cake. Let the cake cool completely before slicing.