Sticky date pudding is a rich and moist cake that can soak up any wonderful sauce you serve it with. I have paired it with a coffee sauce made with palm sugar and I am sure you have started drooling just imagining what it would taste like! This pudding can be made like cupcakes and served without the sauce too.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
200 g pitted dates, chopped
250 g boiling water
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100 g brown sugar
80 g melted Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
150 g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Place the first three ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir well and keep aside until it cools.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a muffin pan or a 15 cm round cake pan.
- To the dates, add brown sugar, Q.B.B. Pure Ghee and eggs and beat well until well incorporated.
- Sift in the flour and ground ginger. Fold in, ensuring there is no lumps of flour.
- Pour in the prepared muffin pan (able to make 8 pieces) and bake for 25 minutes. Bake for 40 minutes if using a cake pan.
- Cool the cake in the pan before removing it.
- Pour the prepared sauce over the cake and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
250 g grated palm sugar (Gula Melaka)
25 g instant coffee
150 ml water
180 g caster sugar
25 g Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
½ teaspoon sea salt
100 ml thickened cream
- Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil until palm sugar dissolves.
- Strain into saucepan again
- Put in Q.B.B. Pure Ghee, salt and thickened cream and bring to a simmer.
- Cool thoroughly before using.