There is something very comforting about Shepherd’s Pie and I know what it is – the fluffy mashed potatoes!! I love mashed potatoes, in any form, at any time of the day. Traditional Shepherd’s pie contains minced meat. This vegetarian variety is so easy, tasty and highly nutritious. You can keep it refrigerated for up to 4 days and it will still taste good – just remember to eat it warm or hot.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
750 g US potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
150 ml milk
150 g Feta cheese, crumbled
50 g Q.B.B. Ghee
1 tablespoon Q.B.B. Ghee
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
100 g celery, chopped
200 g Portobello mushrooms
160 g leeks, halved and sliced
180 g carrot, diced
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can stewed tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
100 g tomato purée
½ teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
50 ml water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180° C.
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted water until tender. Strain and mash it with the milk, half the feta cheese and Q.B.B. Ghee while it is still hot.
- Cover with cling wrap and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, heat Q.B.B. Ghee and sauté the onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms, leek and carrot for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato purée, chilli powder and water and bring to a boil. Season to taste.
- Spoon the beans and tomato mixture into ramekin dishes or one large oven-proof glass dish and top with the prepared mashed potato.
- Sprinkle with the balance of the cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until the topping is slightly golden brown