Breakfast is very important for you. Even more important are the ingredients that constitute your breakfast. Oatmeal has been highly recommended for centuries for the following reasons – it can lower risk for several diseases, including high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes and it can lower your cholesterol, especially your “bad” cholesterol. It is an ideal source of fibre and therefore can satisfy your hunger easily until lunch – thus you will not indulge in snack before lunch. I am sharing this recipe for very healthy and satisfying breakfast muffins. You can make batches of it and keep it frozen if you like. The oatmeal muffin is a delicious way to add fibre and nutrients to your body first thing in the morning. I wish all of you Happy Labour Day…………hope you have a restful day.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
140 g quick cooking oats
120 g plain flour
50 g wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
2 large eggs
90 g dark brown sugar
250 g unsweetened applesauce
120 g low fat milk
40 g melted Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
2 green or red apples, chopped or grated
40 g quick cooking oats
20 g brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line muffin cups with paper baking cups.
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat eggs and brown sugar in a separate bowl until frothy.
- Add in the applesauce, milk, oil and chopped apples and combine well.
- Pour over the dry ingredients – stir and combine well lightly.
- Fill muffin cups to almost full.
- Combine the topping ingredients together in a separate bowl. Sprinkle on the muffins and pat lightly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the thickest part of the muffin comes out clean.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Served with a Power Breakfast Smoothie if possible!
POWER BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE
250 ml hot low fat chocolate milk
50 ml espresso or 1 tablespoon instant coffee
20 g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 small ripe banana, peeled
1 heaped teaspoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon Q.B.B. Pure Ghee, melted
- Place all the above ingredients in a jug and using a hand held blender, blend until smooth.
- Drink immediately.