Practically every North Indian restaurant will have Kadhai Chicken in the menu. “Kadhai” is the Indian curved-bottom wok. Kadhai chicken is not as spicy as the South Indian Masala Chicken and usually more colourful with the addition of red and green capsicums. As it is not a runny curry dish, the idea is for it to be scooped with a naan, chapatti or any other form of bread.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
750 g chicken, boneless and cubed
1 tablespoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ tablespoons Thirumala Ghee
1 X 4 cm cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, pounded coarsely
200 g onion, finely chopped
2 sprigs curry leaves (optional)
200 g tomatoes, blanched and finely chopped
120 g green capsicum, cut into 1.5 cm pieces
120 g red capsicum, cut into 1.5 cm pieces
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- First place the first eight ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Marinate the chicken pieces for about half an hour.
- Heat Thirumala Ghee in a pan and add the cinnamon stick, cardamoms, cloves and fennel seeds and fry till very aromatic.
- Add in the chopped onions and sauté till they turn golden brown.
- Add in the tomatoes and sauté till it becomes mushy.
- Now add in the marinated chicken pieces and stir fry over high heat for about 1 minute. Add in the green and red capsicum and garam masala and cook over medium heat. Stir occasionally till chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Stir in the coriander leaves and remove from heat. Serve with rice or bread.