Kids love pizza and this Vegetable Pizza Uttapam is not only great for breakfast or as a snack but also something that can be packed and taken to school. You can get your children involved in designing their own pizza uttapams. Most Indian homes might have Dosa batter at home these days as you can buy dosa batter from most Indian provision shops. If you don’t have dosa batter, buy ready-to-use pizza dough or you can also make pizzas out of bread slices or cream crackers! With the batter, you can choose to do a large pizza or several small mini pizzas.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
500 g dosa or idli batter
2 green chillies, seeded and sliced
2 tomatoes, seeded and sliced
180 g fresh button mushrooms, sliced
1 red capsicum, seeded and julienned
1 green capsicum, seeded and julienned
200 g grated Pizza Plus or Mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons Thirumala Ghee, melted
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or a dosa pan over medium heat.
- Grease lightly with Thirumala Ghee.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter and spread it into a thick circle.
- Sprinkle the mixture of the vegetables and grated cheese all over the surface of this thick pancake.
- Drizzle a little Thirumala Ghee. Thirumala Ghee makes excellent pizza uttapams, trust me!
- Cover the uttapam with a lid and cook on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until the base is cooked.
- Flip the uttapam, when the base is cooked, to cook the reverse side as well lightly. Then remove from griddle and serve immediately.
- Serve on its own or with chutney.
Alternatively, use 6 slices of wholemeal bread and follow the same procedure as above; Except this time, you will have to spread some Thirumala Ghee on the bread slices before sprinkling the vegetables and cheese over them and then grill under a grill to cook the vegetables and melt the cheese.