Samosas are a favourite with many. You need to put in a lot of effort to get perfectly shaped samosas and stand in front of hot oil to fry batch after batch if cooking for a big group of people. Here is any easy way to make samosas – make them with shop-bought ready-rolled puff pastry and bake them. These samosa pinwheels make interesting snacks for children and adults. The good thing about it is that you can make many in advance and have them frozen and bake them whenever you want. These samosas make great party food too.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
1 tablespoon Thirumala Ghee
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
½ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
1 sprig curry leaves, shredded finely
2 green chillies, sliced
40 g finely chopped coriander leaves
500 g potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed coarsely
100 ml water
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
3 sheets of frozen puff pastry (can be bought from supermarkets)
80 g white sesame seeds
20 g black sesame seeds (optional)
- Heat Thirumala Ghee and fry the mustard seeds and cumin seeds till aromatic.
- Add in the curry leaves, green chillies and coriander leaves and stir briefly. Add the mashed potato, water, turmeric, chilli and garam masala powders, lime juice and salt.
- Stir to combine well and mash till smooth so that the flavours of the spices integrate with the potato. Remove from heat and let it cool thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick paper.
- Place a puff pastry sheet on a large plate.
- Spread one-third of the prepared potato with a spatula evenly on the entire surface of the pastry.
- Roll the pastry from one edge and keep rolling tightly till you have a log.
- Wrap the log in cling wrap and keep it refrigerated to chill it for about 20 minutes (this makes it easier to cut).
- Place the log on a chopping board and using a serrated knife, cut into 1 cm thick pieces.
- Combine the white and black sesame seeds in a dish.
- Press each piece of the cut pinwheel into the sesame seeds so that the seeds stick to it.
- Arrange on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.