Are you not sure what to cook for your loved one this Valentine’s Day? Or are you single and what to spend Valentine’s Day on your own at home? Well, whether you are married or single; a hopeless romantic or a die-hard cynic, why not make some waffles and drench it with salted caramel sauce?? Throw in some raspberries or strawberries together with grilled bananas and serve or eat happily!
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
TO MAKE THE SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
150 g light muscovado sugar
60 g (2 tablespoons) golden syrup
50 g Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
¾ teaspoon sea salt
300 ml double cream
TO MAKE THE WAFFLES
2 egg whites
320 g plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
20 g caster sugar
40 g melted Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
2 egg yolks
500 ml milk
2 bananas, peeled and cut into large pieces
1 tablespoons Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Put the sugar, golden syrup, Q.B.B. Pure Ghee and salt in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring occasionally, until everything has melted together.
- When the mixture starts to bubble, stir in the double cream and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly in the pan.
- Heat the waffle maker.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the flour, bicarbonate, caster sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Make a well in the centre and add the egg yolks and melted Q.B.B. Pure Ghee.
- Using a whisk, whisk as you slowly add the milk until you get a smooth, thick batter.
- Carefully fold in the egg whites with a metal spoon.
- Use a ladle to pour the batter into your waffle maker and cook for 5 mins or according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Repeat until all the batter has been used up – keep cooked waffles warm in a low oven until serving.
- Just before serving, heat the remaining Q.B.B. Pure Ghee in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and fry the banana pieces until golden.
- Divide the waffles between 2 plates, top with the fried bananas, and drizzle with salted caramel. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and add raspberries.