These days I see more and more people purchasing cookies and cakes for the Chinese New Year celebrations. Although, it is convenient to just get a few tins of cookies off the shelves, please beware that most of the commercially made cookies and cakes are prepared with sub-standard ingredients that may ruin your health.
This year, perhaps you would want to make the cookies yourself – for your family or as gifts for your loved ones. Baking is such fun – especially if you can get your friends, children or colleagues to join you in the baking session.
This Choc Chip Cornflakes Cookies recipe make look simple –the Q.B.B. ghee brings out the buttery flavor and makes the cookies crisp too.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 24 cookies
125 g Q.B.B. ghee
120 g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg yolk
grated zest of lemon
140 g self-raising flour
15 g corn flour
60 g mini chocolate chips
100 g cornflakes, crushed lightly
- Cream Q.B.B. ghee, caster sugar and essence until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolk and lemon rind. Sift in the self-raising flour and corn flour; add in the chocolate chips and combine well. At this stage the dough will be sticky.
- Drop teaspoonful of mixture onto the crushed cornflakes and ensure it is covered with the cornflakes.
- Shape into balls and place on lightly-greased baking trays. Alternatively, you can place the balls into small paper baking cases.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 20—25 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks before storing in airtight containers