These mini, lightly sweet yeast loaves are perfect for Easter. Instead of brushing with apricot jam, you dust with sifted icing sugar. I like to slice the loaf, toast it lightly and spread with cream cheese………just yum!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
450 ml full-fat milk
70 g Q.B.B. ghee
750 g bread flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
100 g caster sugar
11 g instant yeast
2 medium eggs, beaten lightly
100 g raisins
80 g mixed peel
FOR THE CROSS:
160 g plain flour
200 ml water
4 tablespoons apricot jam combined with 3 tablespoons water and strained
- Place the milk, Q.B.B. ghee, bread flour, cinnamon, salt, sugar, instant yeast and egg into a mixing bowl and knead for 10 minutes using an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Cover with cling wrap and keep aside for 30 minutes or until it doubles in volume.
- Put in the raisins and the lemon peel and knead again at medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 portions and place each portion into a 350 g loaf pans.
- Leave aside for about 30 minutes for it to rise.
- Heat oven to 220C.
- Mix the flour with water to make the paste for the cross – add the water 1 tablespoon at a time, so that you will add just enough for a thick paste.
- Spoon into a piping bag with a small nozzle. Pipe a line along each row of buns, and then repeat in the other direction to create crosses. Bake for 20 minutes on the middle shelf of the oven, until golden brown.
- Brush the buns while still hot with the apricot jam and leave the buns to cool.