My memories went back to my primary school days when I made these cream horns. Cream corns were sold in my school canteen and I still remember the heavenly deliciousness of the fluffy butter cream. You need to buy at least half a dozen of cream horn moulds to make these cream horns. Make these Creamy Custard Horns a school holiday project for your children or bake this for an adult to bring back fond memories.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
350 g bread flour
100 g plain flour
60 g caster sugar
½ teaspoon salt
8 g instant yeast
1 large egg, lightly beaten
240 g milk
30 g Q.B.B. Ghee, room temperature
1 egg yolk combined with 2 tablespoons water and strained
- Place the first 7 ingredients into the electric mixing bowl, mix and knead until the dough is smooth.
- Add Q.B.B. Ghee in and use low speed setting to mix the ghee into the dough.
- Turn up to high speed to knead the dough until it is smooth, about 8 minutes.
- Cover the dough and let it proof for about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Roll out the dough to about 0.5 cm thickness.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut into 1 cm strips.
- Wrap each strip round a cream horn mould, overlapping a little of one end with the other.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Brush with egg yolk mixture.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Fill a piping bag with the prepared filling. Fill each cream horn with the cream.
- Serve right away or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
TO MAKE THE FILLING
200 g caster sugar
7 egg yolks
40 g corn flour
260 ml milk
60 g Q.B.B. Ghee
180 g thickened cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place egg yolks into mixing bowl.
- Slowly add the caster sugar in, and begin to whisk until smooth.
- Add the corn flour and continue to whisk until mixed well.
- Transfer into a saucepan, then add the milk, Q.B.B. Ghee and cream over medium heat, and continue to stir with a whisk.
- Don’t stop stirring.
- Turn the heat down once you see your mixture starting to thicken.
- Once thick and bubbly, take off the heat and add in vanilla extract. Stir it in until well combined.
- Transfer into a bowl and cover with cling wrap until ready to use.