This sweet rice is bursting with the aroma of the spices and is delicious eaten warm. It can be eaten as it is, or accompanied with some chopped fruits like mango or strawberries.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
250 g basmati or long grain rice, washed and soaked for 20 minutes
500 ml water
1 X 4 cm cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
¼ teaspoon salt
250 ml full cream milk
2 tablespoons Q.B.B. ghee
125 g caster sugar
¼ teaspoon of saffron threads
4 whole cloves
½ teaspoon coarsely crushed cardamom seeds
Grated zest of 1 orange
60 g almond slices, fried in Q.B.B. ghee till golden
60 g raisins fried in Q.B.B. ghee till they puff up
50 g roasted and pounded pistachios
- Drain the rice and place it in a pot along with water, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and salt over medium-high heat.
- When the rice comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cover. Let the rice cook till the water has evaporated.
- In the meanwhile, in a saucepan combine milk, Q.B.B. ghee, sugar, saffron, cloves and cardamom and bring to a boil on medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the orange zest, fried raisins, almonds, pistachios and boiled sugar syrup over the rice. Fold gently into the rice with a wooden spoon
- Cover the rice and turn the heat on to very low. Let the rice simmer for 3 to 4 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Leave it aside covered for about 10 minutes before serving.