Your friends will the thrilled to see and to eat it this cake! The combination of the lemon as well as the powdered green tea (matcha) makes this cake dense and not-too sweet. The exterior of the cake will be crispy while the interior moist.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
200 g cake flour
100 g plain flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 medium eggs
350 g caster sugar
120 g sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of one lemon
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon matcha powder (green tea powder)
110 g Q.B.B. ghee, melted and cooled slightly
110 g melted unsalted butter, cooled
- Butter a loaf pan, dust the insides with flour and tap out the excess.
- Alternatively, you can also make cupcakes by lining muffin tins with cupcake cases.
- Sift together the flours, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until pale and thick.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract and sour cream until evenly distributed.
- Fold in the combined melted Q.B.B. ghee and butter swiftly.
- Divide the batter in half and put in two separate bowls.
- To one bowl of batter, add the zest of the lemon and lemon juice.
- Fold in the matcha powder into the other bowl of batter.
- Pour the matcha batter into the loaf pan.
- Top with the lemon batter.
- Swirl gently and minimally with a butter knife to get a good swirl effect.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- If you are making cupcakes, bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Once removed from the oven, allow the loaf to rest in the pan for 20 minutes before running a knife along the edges of the pan and inverting the cake onto a cooling rack.