This dough has Q.B.B. ghee in it, which along with a bit of sugar, makes it richer than the average pizza dough. You can use any kind of topping for this pizza. The prepared and rolled out dough at the end of Step 8 can be stored in zip-lock bags and kept frozen. Bacon is optional. You can use other meats.
TO MAKE THE PIZZA BASE
1 sachet instant yeast
10 g caster sugar
380 g water
10 g salt
40 g Q.B.B. ghee, melted and cooled
600 g bread flour
- Put the first 3 ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar and yeast. Keep the mixture aside for 10 minutes or until you see a bit of froth on the surface.
- Add the salt and Q.B.B. ghee in. Combine well.
- Add the flour and combine evenly to make a slightly thick dough.
- Knead the dough, adding a dusting of flour from time to time to reduce the stickiness of the dough as you work it with your hands.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and put it on a floured work surface and punch knead for about 10 minutes or until the dough is silky and smooth textured.
- Coat the dough with a thin layer of melted Q.B.B. ghee and leave it in a greased bowl. Cover with cling wrap and keep aside for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Press the dough and flatten to release the air that is inside.
- Roll the dough into a thick circle. Prick with a fork at random.
TO MAKE THE BACON AND EGG PIZZA
2 prepared pizza bases
4 large eggs
80 g onion, finely chopped
60 g milk
5 g salt
40 g Q.B.B. ghee
80 g cooked bacon, pastrami or turkey ham, cut into 1 cm strips
300 g tomatoes, seeded and diced into 0.75 cm pieces
50 g chopped spring onions
200 g Mozzarella cheese, grated
100 g Romano cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Beat eggs, milk, onion and salt until well combined.
- Heat butter and pour in the prepared eggs. Cook, stirring occasional, until the egg mixture is set but still moist. Keep aside in a bowl.
- Place pizza base on a pizza pan. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of the prepared egg mixture on it.
- Arrange the bacon pieces and sprinkle the chopped tomatoes, a tablespoon of spring onion and then a portion of the mozzarella cheese and the Romano cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the topping browns slightly and becomes bubbly.
- Serve hot preferably.