The season of festive food is temporarily over……..at least until Christmas comes. In the meanwhile, I thought I will share with you a brown rice recipe. Brown rice is definitely healthier than processed white rice. The refining process of brown rice only removes the hull of the rice kernel, leaving its nutrients intact. On the other hand, the polishing of white rice strips off its essential nutrients and vitamins. It is not difficult to cook brown rice – it only needs a little more time. Here is a healthy savoury cake that you can keep for up to 2 days in the fridge. You would have to simply heat it up in the oven or microwave oven to eat it.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
80 g Q.B.B. ghee
30 g red chillies, seeded and sliced
30 g garlic, coarsely pounded
300 g cauliflower, cut into little florets
150 g red capsicum, cut into wedges
130 g snow peas, sliced
150 g carrot, diced
40 g chopped spring onions
30 g chopped coriander leaves
600 g cooked brown rice
60 g soy sauce
3 large eggs, lightly beaten with pinch of salt
100 g Tasty cheese or any cheese of your choice
20 g sesame seeds
Q.B.B. ghee for brushing
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a 24 cm round cake pan with non-stick baking paper and grease the sides with Q.B.B. ghee.
- Heat Q.B.B. ghee and sauté the garlic and chillies until aromatic.
- Add in the vegetables and the soy sauce and cook till the vegetables are three-quarters cooked.
- Place cooked rice in a mixing bowl. Add in the cooked vegetables, beaten eggs, cheese and sesame seeds. Combine well.
- Place mixture into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until it is firm.
- Leave to cool slightly before cutting into wedges.