I like curry buns, especially those baked by me!! I don’t like store bought curry buns because most of the savoury fillings
have a tinge sugar in it. When you make the filling yourself, you can do it as spicy or less spicy as you want. The buns can be stored
in the refrigerator up till a week.
1 1/2 tablespoons Q.B.B. Ghee
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coarsely pounded black peppercorns
1 red chilli, sliced thinly
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 sprigs of curry leaves, finely chopped
750 g bread flour
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
50 g caster sugar
15 g salt
1 sachet of instant yeast
7 g bread improver (optional)
1 medium egg
400 ml water
- Heat the Q.B.B. ghee in a small pan and fry the mustard and cumin seeds until aromatic.
- Add in the black pepper, chilli, onion and curry leaves and sauté till onions become soft. Leave this to cool thoroughly.
- Transfer this into a mixer bowl and add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Knead for 10 minutes using an electric mixer.
- Cover dough and leave it to rise until it doubles in volume (about 1 hour).
- Divide dough into 12 portions and roll them into nice smooth balls.
- Flatten the dough and fill with 2 tablespoons of the prepared filling.
- Wrap the dough round the filling and roll it again to form a smooth surface.
- Place on a greased tray. Do the same with the rest of the dough and filling.
- Leave the buns to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 180°C for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and while it is still hot, brush with Q.B.B. ghee.
TO MAKE THE FILLING
1 1/2 tablespoons Q.B.B. ghee
120 g onions, diced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 sprig of curry leaves
200 g chicken, diced
500 g potatoes, diced
1 1/4 tablespoons meat curry powder
4 g black pepper powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
300 ml water
- Heat the Q.B.B ghee in a wok and sauté the onion, garlic and curry leaves until fragrant.
- Add the rest of ingredients in and cook, stirring occasionally till chicken and potatoes are cooked and the moisture has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and cool thoroughly before using as filling for buns.