Food is a big part of Hari Raya celebrations, whether it is the fasting days or on the actual celebration day. I am sure by now most of our Muslim friends have already finished their baking and are planning their lunch and dinner menus. Here is a simple and easy-to-do recipe and the highlight of this is the simple peanut sauce!! You can shape the tofu balls one day before and keep them refrigerated.
Preparation time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 20 minutes
600 g firm tofu, roughly chopped (4 medium pieces)
2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
2 lemongrass, finely shredded
1 red chilli, seeded and finely sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons cornflour
150 g Q.B.B. ghee + 1 litre cooking oil for deep frying
- Mash the tofu well and leave to drain in a colander for 2 hours.
- Combine all the ingredients together except the Q.B.B. ghee and oil.
- Heat the Q.B.B. ghee and oil till hot. Shape the tofu mixture into balls and deep fry till golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve with the following dip.
30 g garlic cloves
150 ml freshly squeezed lime juice
5 chilli padies
60 g gula melaka
3 tablespoons light soya sauce
120 g roasted peanuts, coarsely pounded
- Blend the first 5 ingredients in a blender, till smooth.
- Pour into a sauce bowl. Top with the peanuts just before serving.