Comforting and creamy, Cauliflower Gratin can also be made with half a cauliflower and a half broccoli or with 50 g julienned carrot added to the original recipe. It will be a sure hit with children who don’t eat vegetables!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Melted Q.B.B. ghee, to grease
1000 g cauliflower, cut into small florets
50 g Q.B.B. ghee
1/4 teaspoon salt
50 g plain flour
600 ml milk
170 g coarsely grated Tasty cheese
Salt and pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly pounded black peppercorns
100 g fresh breadcrumbs
40 g melted Q.B.B. ghee
60 g grated Parmesan cheese
- Grease a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish with melted Q.B.B. ghee.
- Bring 3 litres of water to a boil with 3 teaspoons of salt. Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain. Transfer to the prepared dish.
- Meanwhile, heat the Q.B.B. ghee in a saucepan over medium heat until it foams.
- Add the flour in and cook, stirring until the mixture bubbles. Remove from heat.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Place over medium-high heat and cook, stirring until the sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat.
- Stir in three-quarters of the Tasty cheese. Season with salt and white pepper. Pour over the cauliflower.
- Preheat grill on high.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the cauliflower mixture. Drizzle over the remaining Q.B.B ghee and sprinkle with the remaining Tasty cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Place the dish under the grill and cook until golden.