This is my version of Chicken Rice. You can make the cutlets well in advance and keep them frozen. The chicken cutlets can also be served as a chicken burger or as an appetizer in a party. You don’t have to make chicken rice to serve it with; you can also try serving it with plain white rice. Serve with lots of vegetables and you have a well-balanced meal.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
20 g garlic cloves, finely chopped
30 g ginger, finely chopped
50 g red chillies, roughly chopped
20 g lemongrass, finely chopped
40 g spring onions, finely chopped
500 g minced chicken
1 egg, lightly beaten
6 g salt
Freshly ground black pepper
20 g fine semolina
100 g Q.B.B. ghee
2 Japanese cucumbers or local cucumbers, sliced
Chicken rice and Hot Chilli Sauce, to serve
- Place the first 10 ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine well.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of the mixture and roll it into a ball. Flatten it slightly and place on a tray. Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the mixture.
- Cover with cling wrap and keep it refrigerated for about 30 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan with Q.B.B. ghee.
- Place few cutlets on it and cook, turning them occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel long, thin strips from the cucumbers.
- Spoon the Chicken Rice into bowls or plates. Top with the chicken cutlet, cucumber and Hot Chilli Sauce.
60 g Q.B.B. ghee
20 g finely chopped ginger
30 g finely chopped garlic
500 g jasmine rice, washed and drained
750 g chicken stock
10 g salt
10 g sesame oil
4 pandan leaves, tied into a knot
- Place all the ingredients into a rice cooker pot and turn it on.
- When the rice is cooked, remove the pandan leaves and discard before serving.
HOT CHILLI SAUCE
50 g red chillies
5 chilli padies
4 garlic cloves
30 g young ginger
80 ml chicken stock or water
100 ml lime or lemon juice
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Chinese sesame oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend coarsely.
- Pour into a sauce bowl.