This weekend, mothers everywhere will be celebrated for a good reason – they work hard, love their families and definitely deserve a day of pampering! I have suggested a recipe that not only the mothers, but everyone in the family will love. You can make the fish cutlets well in advance and freeze them. Thaw them when needed and pan fry. The use of Q.B.B. ghee for pan frying this fish cutlet adds to the flavour of the burger.
If you don’t want to use fresh fish, you can substitute it with 2 cans X 210 g of tuna in water or brine. Drain the tuna and flake it slightly. If you are a vegetarian, substitute the fish with 350 g of finely chopped carrot, cauliflower, green and red capsicums, and use 500 g of potatoes instead.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
300 g potatoes
500 g fish fillet (preferably mackerel or salmon) removed, and flaked
2 fresh red chillies, finely sliced
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-cm ginger, minced
3 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves
1 sprig of curry leaves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, coarsely pounded
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
2 medium eggs
Q.B.B. ghee for pan frying
4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
2 tablespoons melted Q.B.B ghee
4 slices cheese
100 g mixed salad leaves or lettuce leaves
8 slices tomatoes
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Place whole potatoes into a pan of water and boil till soft. Drain. Peel and discard skin.
- Mash the potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Steam the fish till cooked. Discard skin and bones and flake the fish. Add the fish into the mixing bowl with the mashed potatoes.
- Add the next 12 ingredients and combine well.
- Shape the mixture into 100 g balls and flatten it to resemble a meat burger.
- Heat a shallow frying pan.
- Place a few tablespoons of the Q.B.B. ghee and fry about 2-3 fish burgers on both sides till golden brown.
- Drain them on kitchen paper towels.
- Brush the toasted buns with melted Q.B.B. ghee.
- Place a slice of cheese on one half of each bun. Melt under a hot grill.
- Arrange the salad leaves or lettuce and tomato slices on melted cheese.
- Top with fried fish cutlet; spread a little mayonnaise and then top with other half of bun.
- Serve immediately.