A crumpet is also known as an English muffin and is almost like a thick pancake. Your family will love these easy-to-do crumpets, especially when eaten with the Orange Honey Spread. Because Q.B.B. ghee is so versatile, besides baking and cooking with it, you can also use it as a spread on your toast or to make spreads like the one I am sharing here. I love eating crumpets warm and spreading them with this delicious spread. I also love the way the ghee melts into the holes of the crumpet! You can freeze crumpets for up to 2 months in an airtight container and toast them before serving.
Preparation time: 2-3 hours
Cooking time: 20 minutes
350 g plain flour
350 ml lukewarm milk
200 g lukewarm water
10 g instant yeast
4 g baking powder
4 g salt
Q.B.B. ghee for brushing
TO MAKE ORANGE HONEY SPREAD
125 g Q.B.B. ghee, room temperature
50 g honey
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
50 g freshly squeezed orange juice
- Whisk the flour, milk, water and yeast in a bowl to form a smooth batter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until bubbles form on the surface. This may take about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the orange honey spread in a separate bowl. Beat them till well combined and pour into a jar. Keep it chilled until ready to use. This spread, if refrigerated in an airtight container, will keep for 4 days.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and brush with Q.B.B. ghee. Lightly grease a 7 cm-crumpet ring with Q.B.B. ghee.
- Whisk the baking powder and salt into the batter.
- Place the ring in the frying pan and ladle the batter into it to make a test crumpet. The batter should be thick enough to stay in the ring and bubbles should appear within 1-2 minutes of cooking. Add 1-2 tablespoons of flour if the batter is too runny or add 1-2 tablespoons of water if it is too thick.
- You can cook 2-3 crumpets at one time if your frying pan is large enough and if you have extra rings.
- When the surface of the crumpet is filled with bubbles (it will look like a pancake with many holes) then flip it over and cook until it sets and is golden.
- Place the crumpets on a tray and cover loosely with aluminium foil to keep it warm.
- Serve crumpets warm with Orange Honey Spread.