Honestly, you will need the luxury of time to make this trifle but let me assure you, it is worth your effort. It is not one of those crushed “store-bought cake or cookies”-lined trifle! You will have to make muffins and then break them up to make this trifle. If it breaks your heart to do so, you can also serve the muffins as they are before making the trifle. Instead of strawberries, you can use other fruits like mangoes, orange segments, and blueberries. As far as possible, try to make it colourful so that it would be appealing not only to you, but also whoever you are serving them to. You can choose to make the trifle in small clear dessert bowls individually or everything together in a large one. Instead of yoghurt, you can also try using vanilla custard. Alternatively, make a frozen trifle by adding in vanilla ice cream and then freezing the trifle before serving it.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
150 g Q.B.B. ghee
150 g caster sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
180 g natural yoghurt
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Grated zest of one lemon
120 g fine semolina
150 g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
500 g strawberry flavoured yoghurt
30 ripe strawberries, halved
120 g toasted almond flakes
120 g grated white chocolate
- Place the Q.B.B Ghee and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and creamy. Add the beaten eggs in, a little at a time, and beat well.
- Stir in the yoghurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, flour, semolina, cardamom powder, ginger powder and bicarbonate of soda and combine well.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased muffin tin or a muffin tin lined with paper cases.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 180° C for 25-30 minutes or until muffins are cooked when tested with a skewer (The skewer should come out clean and dry). Cool the cakes thoroughly
- Break the cakes into 2 cm pieces.
- Place few pieces of the broken cakes into the base of the dessert bowl or glass.
- Put 1-2 dollops of the strawberry yoghurt over it. Put in a few pieces of strawberry halves and sprinkle with a little almond flakes.
- Repeat the procedure till you reach the rim of the bowl or glass.
- Sprinkle with more almonds and finely grate some white chocolate over it. Keep chilled till serving.