In case you did not already know, I will admit it again – I have a sweet tooth! I like Middle Eastern sweets and cakes as they are a real treat. Middle Eastern sweets and cakes are often drenched in aromatic sugar syrups. I am sharing an awesome recipe for an Orange Semolina Cake soaked in orange syrup.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
200 g fine semolina
100 g sugar
100 g freshly grated coconut
Grated zest of 1 lemon
150 g milk 100 g Q.B.B Ghee
30 g toasted almond slices
For the syrup:
150 g orange juice
50 g caster sugar
Zest of 2 oranges
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Melt the Q.B.B. Ghee into the milk.
- In a bowl, mix the fine semolina, sugar, grated coconut and lemon zest. Pour the milk and ghee mixture into the bowl and combine well.
- Pour the mixture into a baking tray and top it off with the almonds. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Check to see if the cake is ready- it should form a beautiful golden crust. If necessary, extend the baking time by another 10 minutes
- While the cake is in the oven, prepare the syrup by boiling the orange juice, sugar and orange zest together on a high heat.
- Turn off the heat when the sugar has dissolved.
- Once the cake is baked and out of the oven, pour the syrup gently and slowly over it.
- Let it cool for at least an hour before serving- when it’s still hot, it will be too difficult to slice up.