These apricot slices are great for afternoon tea or as home-baked gifts. I shared a few slices with different friends and these were some of their comments:
“I like the nice tangy taste of the dried apricot and the aroma of the Earl Grey tea”; “Do you sell this?”;
“I did not know you can bake with Q.B.B ghee”;
“Aiyoh! So nice!”
You can also use dried peaches or prunes instead of apricots if you want.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
FOR THE BASE
150 g Q.B.B Ghee
60 g icing sugar
1 X 60 g egg, lightly beaten
280 g plain flour, sifted
FOR THE TOPPING
300 g dried apricots
300 g water
8 Earl Grey teabags
200 g caster sugar
3 X 60 g eggs
grated zest of 2 lemons
120 ml lemon juice
2 g baking powder
60 g plain flour
20 X 30 cm slice tin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the dried apricots, water and tea bags in a small saucepan. Bring them to a boil until the water turns dark brown. Remove and discard the tea bags.
- Reduce the heat and cook till the apricots become soft and the liquid has evaporated. Let them cool down and chop them up coarsely.
- Line a 20 x 30 cm slice tin with non-stick paper.
- Cream the Q.B.B Ghee and sugar until light and fluffy in a mixing bowl. Add in 1 egg and beat it lightly to incorporate it with the mixture.
- Fold in the sifted flour. Press the mixture into the base of the prepared tin and smoothen the surface.
- Bake at 180° C for 15 minutes.
- To prepare the topping, beat the sugar, eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice together. Fold in the baking powder and flour.
- When the base is baked, sprinkle the chopped apricots evenly on top and pour the lemon-egg mixture over the top.
- Bake for a further 25 minutes or until the surface is golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.