Some days, I just don’t feel like eating rice with other dishes on the side and neither do I like to eat the usual fried rice. So on one of such days, I prefer to cook myself a one-dish meal and the Cauliflower and Peas rice was what I did a couple of days ago. It is easy to do; and you will surely consume the daily recommended amount of vegetables. You can keep it refrigerated to be eaten the next day; or can pack this rice and take it to your office as lunch. If you don’t like cauliflower you can substitute with other vegetables!
Watch the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAJIATjFUaM
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
2 tablespoons Q.B.B. ghee
2 tablespoons channa dhal
1 1/2 teaspoons urad dhal
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
3 dried chillies, cut into 1 cm pieces
3 green chillies, sliced
1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
2 sprigs of curry leaves
300 g finely shredded cauliflower
100 g frozen peas, thawed
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon asafetida powder (optional)
Salt to taste
80 ml water
150 g grated coconut, dry roasted till golden brown
800 g cooked basmati rice
80 g fried or baked cashew nuts
3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- Heat Q.B.B. ghee and fry the urad dhal and channa dhal till aromatic and golden brown.
- Add in the mustard seeds and the dried chillies and fry till the mustard seeds splutter.
- Add in the green chillies, garlic, ginger and curry leaves and sauté till chillies turn bright green.
- Add in the cauliflower, peas, turmeric powder, asafetida powder, salt and water. Combine well and cook till it is almost dry.
- Add in the coconut and the rest of the ingredients and stir fry till well combined.
- Serve as a one-dish meal.