One of the Q.B.B. ghee fans sent me an email last week requesting for a Spicy Vegetarian Lasagne recipe. So I decided to develop a recipe and here I am sharing with all of you. Adjust the spice level according to your liking and omit any spices that you don’t particular like. Though the recipe looks long, this is the fun of cooking!! The baked lasagne can be stored wrapped in aluminium foil and kept refrigerated in the chiller or freezer compartments.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 40 minutes
TO MAKE THE SPICY BEANS
40 ml Q.B.B. ghee
5 g cumin seeds
150 g finely chopped onions
40 g ginger-garlic paste
300 g blanched and chopped tomatoes
5 g turmeric powder
5 g chilli powder
5 g salt
300 g water
2 cans Garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained well
- Heat Q.B.B. ghee and fry the cumin seeds until aromatic.
- Add in the onion and sauté till onion turns soft.
- Add in the ginger-garlic paste and tomatoes and sauté till it becomes like a pulp.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and cook till the water is absorbed.
TO MAKE THE SPICED WHITE SAUCE
80 g plain flour
300 g water
50 g Q.B.B. ghee
5 g mustard seeds
10 g finely minced garlic
15 g finely minced green chillies
100 g finely minced onion
1 sprig curry leaves, shredded
750 g full cream milk
15 g salt
100 g grated cheddar cheese
- Combine the flour and water and ensure it is lump free.
- Heat Q.B.B. ghee in a pan and fry the mustard seeds until aromatic.
- Add in the garlic, green chillies, chopped onion and curry leaves and sauté till very aromatic.
- Add in the milk and the combined flour and salt.
- Cook stirring constantly till the sauce thickens.
- Turn off heat and stir in the cheese.
TO ASSEMBLE THE LASAGNE
1 packet oven-ready lasagne sheets
100 g grated Mozzarella cheese
Prepared Spicy beans
Prepared Spiced white sauce
100 g sliced French beans
60 g coarsely grated carrot
- Preheat oven to 180° C.
- Take a 22cm X 18 cm oven proof lasagne dish.
- Spread a ladleful of the Spiced White sauce on the base of the dish.
- Top with a layer of the lasagne sheet. Pour a ladleful of the Spiced White Sauce and spread it and sprinkle with a handful of French beans and carrot.
- Layer with lasagne sheets and spread a layer of the cooked Spiced beans and lay lasagne sheet over it.
- Pour a ladleful of the Spiced White Sauce and spread it and sprinkle with a handful of French beans and carrot.
- Lay lasagne sheet over it and top with the Spiced Beans and then lay lasagne sheets and top with a ladleful of the Spiced White Sauce, sprinkled with French beans and carrot.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the surface is golden brown.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes before cutting.