Since last week, I have had cheese fritters twice, both delicious – once when I was in Pune and the other when I was at the New Delhi airport. Both the cheese fritters were made of Paneer, and they were undoubtedly yummy. Even while seated in the plane, I had already planned to do a cheese fritter recipe for the Q.B.B. ghee fans. Here, I have created a cheese fritter recipe using goat’s cheese. Goat’s cheese is readily available in all supermarkets. You can also use Feta, Emmental or matured Cheddar cheese. This is a perfect party food, and you can crumb the cheese well in advance and fry it just before the guests arrive. The tomato jam too can be done at least one week in advance. I am sure you will enjoy every bite and leave nothing on the plate. The fritters will be crispy on the outside with melting soft goat’s cheese inside.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
TO PREPARE THE TOMATO JAM
300 g tomatoes
180 g sugar
50 ml water
Zest of 1 lemon
80 ml juice
1 red chilli padi, chopped
1. Blanch the tomatoes and chop coarsely.
2. Place the rest of ingredients and chopped tomatoes into a saucepan and boil till thick and sticky.
TO FRY THE GOAT CHEESE
200 g goat’s cheese, sliced 3 cm thick
Flour for dusting
1 egg, beaten
Q.B.B. ghee for shallow frying
1. Coat the cheese pieces with flour and then dip in egg and roll in bread crumbs.
2. Heat Q.B.B. ghee in a frying pan and shallow fry the fritters on both sides till golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.
3. Serve with tomato jam and salad leaves.