I like seeing people, when they are happily eating something I baked or cooked. I truly believe that there is a whopping connection between love and food. I do know for a fact that I can show appreciation and love to those people in my life by just giving my time to bake or cook them something they like. There were times in my life when I did not have enough money to reciprocate friends who gave me expensive gifts for my birthdays. The best gifts that I could give which cannot be bought anywhere, are dishes I cooked with love for these friends.
But then one need not be a professional chef to cook or bake someone a gift! What you need is a slice of your time and the desire to cook. Valentine’s Day is not for lovers alone – it is a day and time to acknowledge the loved ones in our lives. Here is an easy recipe for you to bake. I wish you a happy Valentine’s Day. Warm hugs to all!
125 g Q.B.B. ghee, room temperature
125 g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
125 g self-raising flour
140 g raspberries
60 g orange juice or passion fruit pulp
For the icing
500 g icing sugar
160 g Q.B.B. ghee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 drops pink liquid food colouring
50 ml water
50 g roasted chopped pistachios
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place 12 paper cases in a muffin tray.
3. Beat the Q.B.B. ghee and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until well combined.
4. Fold the flour, raspberries and orange juice or passion fruit pulp into the mixture until almost smooth.
5. Divide the mixture among the paper cases then bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and set aside until thoroughly cooled.
7. For the icing, using an electric whisk, cream the icing sugar and Q.B.B. ghee together until light and fluffy. Whisk in the vanilla extract and food colouring. Gradually whisk in milk to form a smooth paste.
8. With a spatula spread the icing over the cake and sprinkle the chopped pistachios. Alternatively you can use a piping bag to pipe the icing on the cupcakes.