Carrot cakes are so easy to make. Once you have mastered the art of making a basic carrot cake, you can start adding different kinds of ingredients like chopped dried figs, persimmons, dates and other dried fruits. The carrot can be grated coarsely or ultra-fine. Q.B.B ghee when melted, gives this cake a highly aromatic and moist finish. I prefer to serve carrot cake without the classic lemon cream cheese icing.
380 ml melted Q.B.B. Ghee
4 egg yolks
250 g caster sugar
250 g grated carrots
250 g self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground mixed spices
100 g toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
100 g raisins
4 egg whites
1. Line a 21–22 cm round cake pan with non-stick baking paper and preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Whisk egg yolks in a mixing bowl for 1 minute.
3. Add in melted Q.B.B. ghee and 150 g sugar and continue to beat until well combined.
4. Stir in grated carrots and fold in the flour, salt and mixed spice.
5. Beat egg whites until stiff, adding 100 g caster sugar gradually until well mixed and combined.
6. Fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
7. Spoon the cake batter into prepared cake pan and bake for 40–45 minutes or until cooked through, when tested.