Prawns are favorite items that are served during the Chinese New Year period. Prawns (大虾; dàxiā) mean liveliness. I thought I would share my recipe for Cereal Prawns. It will be a sure knock-out with its layers of complex flavors – juicy, salty, crispy, buttery, spicy and garlicky when you entertain!! This dish sure captures the racial harmony of Singapore. Two of the most important ingredients for this dish are curry leaves and Q.B.B. ghee. The curry leaves lend an irreplaceable aroma to this dish when sautéed in Q.B.B. ghee. The prawns taste best when done with the shells and heads.
During the Chinese New Year period, prawns are very expensive. You can always buy fresh prawns months ahead – however you should store the prawns well so that they stay fresh and tasty. Once you have bought some fresh prawns, put them into a plastic container which should be of almost the same volume as that of the prawns. Fill the container with water, close it with an airtight container and freeze. In this way, you can store the prawns up to 3 months!
500 g large prawns, feelers and legs trimmed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons corn flour
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons instant oats
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking oil for deep frying
2 tablespoons Q.B.B. ghee
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5 red chilli padies, chopped
1 stalk curry leaves, shredded
- Place the first 7 ingredients into a bowl and combine well. Leave aside covered for 20 minutes.
- Combine the next 6 ingredients in a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat oil till very hot in a frying pan and deep fry the marinated prawns until just cooked. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat Q.B.B. ghee in a wok and sauté the chopped garlic, chilli padies and curry leaves till aromatic.
- Add in the combine egg yolk mixture and with a pair of chopsticks quickly break up the mixture as it begins to set. Ensure that you break it into small bits that will stick to the prawns.
- Add in the fried prawns and toss the prawns in the work over high heat till it is coated with bits of egg and oats mixture.
- Serve hot.